Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Tax-Favored Accounts Aren’t Ageists; I Promise.



Having worked with tax favored accounts since the mid-80s, I have always enjoyed the education of young people newly coming into the workforce. I love explaining how utilizing a flexible spending account (FSA) or health savings account (HSA) actually puts money in their pocket for Starbucks, dinner out, gifts, etc. I get great satisfaction when their eyes light up and they get it.

Imagine my horror when I am told by my wife that our 24 year old son is not paying for his bus pass with pre-tax dollars. Imagine my irritation when he tells me it really isn’t my concern. Ugh! Are you serious?! This is what I do! Imagine a knee surgeon being told by his son that his ruptured ACL is none of his dad’s concern.

I told my son that the $30 he is giving Uncle Sam (bus pass is $100) could by a few burgers, beers or flowers for his Mom!  It’s half of a video game; x12 it is $360. He told me it is a hassle to stop the pre-tax deduction. Advice from another learned 20-something, no doubt. But I’m not taking it personal. I remember my Dad telling me that I should max out my 401(k). I probably should have listened to him back then.  My son will learn. He’ll meet some gal - she’ll explain how he can be smarter with his money.

In the meantime, I’m stepping up my education efforts. That gal may be in one of the groups to whom I explain pre-tax deductions. She’ll love our new smart app that can take pictures of receipts and submit via phone. She’ll see the value in a dollar and will eventually convince him.  Yup...I’m going to be out there trolling for the newbies explaining how they can save money even though some people “JUST DON’T GET IT!”

The Author: Roger Jorgensen, RHU, REBC
Director of Marketing - HSA, FSA, HRA & COBRA

No comments:

Post a Comment